Introduction to OST file:
In case of using Microsoft Exchange Server account, your mails, calendars and other items are transferred to the server and get saved. To maintain a copy of your Outlook data locally on your system, you need to configure Outlook in Cached Exchange mode with the Exchange Server.
OST file may be defined as an Offline folder of Microsoft Outlook that by default contains entire Outlook data if the Outlook is connected with Exchange Server. The offline Outlook data file will get synchronized with Exchange Server in the availability of the connection. So, that will lead to the offline access of the account.
Need of OST file:
- To get the offline access of locally saved Outlook data.
- In case of any corruption to the Outlook data, Offline folder will act as a backup resulting into no loss of data.
The quality of offline folder solely depends upon the process of synchronizing folders.
The offline folder is just a copy of all folders present in your mailbox on your system that is running Exchange Server. If you are not connected to any network, it would be possible to access the data from server location and it will get updated after getting in touch with the network.
Different operations like add, delete or alter the contents of offline folder can be performed in offline mode. You will not be able to recognize the changes that has been made on the server unless you synchronize.
Outlook OST Error in Exchange Server:
Outlook email program is associated with Exchange Server to provide offline access to multiple user accounts. With the ease of availing offline data to multiple users, there might be possibility of synchronization errors that would be an MAPI error.
There can be various aspects due to which the error occurred like as management of send/receive execution, synchronization, OST file integrity etc. The generated errors entirely hinders the access to data or mail from OST file. Due to this, the data won’t synchronize with Outlook and hence OST file will become a waste after the generation of such kind of errors.
Do’s and Don’ts:
It must be notified that in case of Exchange 2010 OAB file will take at least 24-48 hours to be updated with new information. And the time duration for Exchange 2013 is 8 hours over a period of 1 hour.
So, If anybody tries to download or access OAB, It will show download failure. Due to this, the recently added account should not try to download Outlook Address Book. If the error is still not resolved then you can try this to fix it:
- After viewing the properties in Address list explore the settings of the Exchange Server System Manager. Check the validation of address book and if it is not validated then there is need to add new list.
- It might be possible that the client system has proxy settings with utilized Internet Explorer browser. To avoid all this, Open Internet Explorer, Click Tools->Internet Options. From Connections tab, Click LAN settings and select “Bypass proxy server for local addresses”, Click Advanced. Click OK after typing FQDN of Exchange 2007 CAS Server.
If the Detected Outlook OST Errors still exists?
You can overcome the .ost related errors with the Microsoft Inbox Repair tool(scanost.exe) i.e. free of cost. Just in case you are stuck with Outlook 2007 and below versions, the steps to use “scanost.exe” are explained below:
- Go to the location of folder containing scanost.exe and click on the tool.
- Browse the OST file and Hit the Next button.
- After the scanning of .ost file, view information about the OST file. Hit the Repair button.
- The tool fix all the Outlook OST errors in no time.
What to do in case of Scanost.exe failure?
There may be few reasons for the Scanost.exe failure are as follows:
- This tool is not available with Outlook 2010 and later versions. You can only try this with Outlook 2007 and below versions.
- In case you are using Outlook 2007 and trying “scanost.exe”, this might be possible that errors may persist even after repairing with Inbox Repair tool due to corrupted OST file.
So, You can go with an alternate solution i.e. QuickData OST to PST Converter. With the help of this software application you can safely transfer the OST file data into PST file format. Therefore, during the detection of such kind of errors, try this utility to get the solution as soon as possible.
As mentioned above, in spite of availing such a great facility of offline access also vulnerable to errors. So, there should be some resolution to overcome any existing error, providing you a better solution for this particular Outlook OST error in Exchange Server.