Add OST file in Outlook 2016 does not mean that you can directly add an OST file in Microsoft Outlook. The manual transfer or opening of an Outlook data items from Offline storage(OST file) is not supported by MS Outlook.
Apart from that, when you add an account taking the advantage of Offline Outlook Data File(OST), the file is created automatically and data is downloaded from the server. You can also define a new folder location for the OST file, then also a new file will be created automatically.
One more thing you can try is that: move the current OST file to the new folder to get rid of download time wasted in recreation of file.
Importance of OST file For Exchange Users
There are various benefits of using OST file. Some of them are explained below:
- Outlook offline data storage is supported with the creation of OST file in case of Exchange account. To get the Outlook data in OST file format, It is mandatory to enable the “Cache Exchanged Mode” while configuring the Exchange mail account with Outlook.
- There is no need backup the OST file like PST file. Since, OST files itself replicas of data items that are saved on the mail server.
How to Add OST file in Outlook 2016
The Offline data file(OST) can be added in MS Outlook 2016 in two ways as given below:
1. Re-creating the Offline Outlook Data File
Being a replica of your Exchange account information, there is no need to backup this file. You can easily create a new copy any time by following the below mentioned steps:
- You need to Exit Outlook.
- Go to Control Panel. Double-click Mail.
- Mail in Control Panel:
The location of Mails in Control Panel varies in different operating system versions, either 32 or 64 bit OS.
The best way to find out the Mail option in Control Panel is to type Mail in the Search box at the top of Window in Control Panel.
And for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.
If there is already a profile configured in Outlook then the Mail Setup dialog box will contain the name of existing profile. Click on Show Profiles, select required profile name and then Hit Properties.
- Select Exchange account from E-mail tab. Hit Change button.
- Enable the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box.(It is mandatory to enable this option)
- Hit more Settings.
- Click Offline Folder File Settings from Advanced tab.
- Hit Disable Offline Use, and then Click Yes from the notification that pops up.
- Again, hit Offline Folder File Settings. Click OK.
- Click Yes in the dialog box that appears.
- Choose Use Cached Exchange Mode under Cached Exchange Mode Settings.
- Click OK and then Click Next. Hit Finish.
- From Mail Setup and Account Settings, click Close.
2. Move Outlook OST file
When you have an Exchange account with offline support then Outlook data items are saved in form of synchronized data file(OST file) in a hidden folder on your system.
You can find out the location of your OST file by following these steps:
- Start Outlook, from File tab, Select Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files.
- Open the Account Settings and select the Data Files tab.
- Select your Exchange account and Hit Close.
- Then, Enable the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box. Click OK.
- Select Outlook Data File Settings > Disable Offline Use >Yes from the Advanced tab.
- Select Outlook Data File Settings, and then follow one of the following:
- Choose the OST file after browsing that you shifted to new location, and then Hit Open.
- Click OK.
- Select the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box from the Advanced tab. Click OK. Again hit OK at the notification to restart Outlook.
- Close the Mail Setup and Account Settings dialog boxes.
- Then, Select OK from Mail dialog box.
You will be able to see the location of your OST file in Data Files tab and opt any one option.
a) Go with the location that is visible in the location column for the Exchange account.
b) Change the location of the OST file. Save the OST file in different folder.
Now, You can add OST file to Outlook 2016. For that, Go with the following steps:
a) I want to create a file(default)
Select browse, and choose folder where you want to save the Outlook OST file.
b) I want to move the old file
Conclusion: Even after adopting above mentioned methods, you are facing hinderance in adding OST file in Outlook 2016. You can try OST to PST Converter Software. First, change your OST file in PST file format and Outlook provides you the option to directly add the PST file.